Towpath Trail Peace Park Primitive Campsites
Primitive tent camping is now available on the Greenville Peace Treaty Line, Buckeye Trail, Ohio-Erie Canal Towpath Trail, Scenic Byway, & the Great American Rail-Trail!
Weekends $14 up to two people, $5 each additional person. Weekdays 50% off per night. Firewood bundle $7 * History lecture $10 (prices as of 6/3/20)
Now booking through HipCamp https://www.hipcamp.com/…/towpath-trail-peace-park-campsites
Don't have a HipCamp account, no worries, use my referral link HipCamp referral link before you book.
We freely donated an easement to close the last remaining gap on the Ohio & Erie Canal Towpath Trail and started the Towpath Trail Snack Shack in 2017 to supplement retirement while having fun and doing good for the community in the process.
In 2019, we learned of a shortage of primitive campsites along our beautiful Tuscarawas County towpath trail and decided after much consideration to do something about it. Our section of the trail is expected to be developed in the fall of 2020, so I've made my land available for four primitive campsites immediately, despite the current obstacle potable drinking water.
Located on the historic Ohio & Erie Canalway between the village of Bolivar Ballparks and the McDonnell trailheads on the towpath trail on Ohio Route 212. Primitive tent camping is now available on the Greenville Peace Treaty Line, Buckeye Trail, Ohio-Erie Canal Towpath Trail, Scenic Byway, & the Great American Rail-Trail!
Thank you for your interest in booking a campsite at the Towpath Trail Peace Park! Please consider liking our Facebook page at https://www.facebook.com/TowpathTrailPeacePark/
Do you have an estimated arrival time? Any special needs or requests? If so, let us know.
If you need any assistance to get here, please contact:
Towpath Trail Peace Park
689 State Route 212 NW
Bolivar, Ohio 44612
Peace Park Rules
In the event that you arrive and no one is available to meet & greet you, please feel free to set up camp in the field between the Ohio & Erie Canal and the lower driveway easement.
A few rules we have to include:
1. No Trespassing on neighbor's property! Our neighbors don't have a problem with our offering primitive camping, but they do have a problem with people on their land at 3 AM and frankly, WILL call the Sheriff and or otherwise protect their property if they think anyone is a potential threat!
Our boundary line runs through the center of the canal from the 12" 6 " Wheeling & Lake Erie Railroad bridge to our pump house and to the lower driveway easement.
2. Pets are welcome on the conditions that you clean up after them and they not be aggressive. Leashes are not required for docile dogs.
3. No alcohol consumption within the peace park boundaries.
4. No firearms, slingshots, BB guns, or shooting on the property. CCW permit holders are permitted if weapons remain concealed.
5. Please leave the property in the same or better shape than you found it.
6. No parties or events without prior approval!
7. No unaccompanied minors! We only allow adult campers with their children.
8. No throwing trash on the neighbor's property! Our boundaries are in the middle of the canal and in front of our Pump House. We provide trash containers and ask that they are used.
9. No loud noise after 10 PM! We ask everyone to respect their camping neighbors.
10. No vehicle traffic within the park except for loading and unloading. Overnight parking is available above the campsites.
COVID-19 Info: We offer sanitizer within a handicapped accessible Porta-potty. The host wears a mask during meet & greet and maintains a 6' distance. Campers have separate fire-rings and we ask to not socialize with other campsites. We sanitize our picnic tables between campers. We follow all local & State Health Department rules. My wife has COPD and is a very high risk, so please understand our concern for safe practices.
We look forward to meeting you!
A couple of immediate needed improvements include:
1. A Handicapped Accessible with hand sanitizer Port-A-Potty was INSTALLED in May 2020, (Goal achieved)
2. Potable water ($35 test / Health Dept License $75: $115 annually) (water test ACHIEVED with pristine aquifer results!)
Waterline installation from our pump house is approx $1,500. one-time.
Improvement goals after our trail easement are developed include:
1. A bronze Ohio historical marker at the exact spot where the Greenville Peace Treaty line intersects with the towpath trail will be approx. $3,000. Ohio's only revolutionary war fort Laurens is only about 1.5 miles east of us and is referred to within the treaty.
2. A few fruits and or nut trees native to Ohio to be included in landscaping to establish a small public orchard on the trail.
3. Butterfly & Bee floral landscaping. Unknown value at present and I'd propose having a non-profit contracted to plant native species.
4. Stone & wood bench similar to what's near the Stark Parks trail section at the Canal Bend trailhead.
5. A lean-to, tipi, &/or an indigenous Delaware wigwam for an educational rental on the Greenville Treaty Line.
6. Fishing poles and gear for Tuscarawas river fishing rental.
7. All four primitive campsites now have a picnic table and a fire-ring.
8. Multi-directional sign ie; Fort Laurens 1.5 mi, Bolivar .1 mi, Zoar 4 mi, Canal Lands 1.7 mi, Navarre 6 mi, Canal Bend Trailhead 1.5 mi, McDonnell Trailhead .25 mi, Camp Tuscazoar 6 mi, Akron 30 mi, Massillon 15 mi, Cleveland 81 mi, Eddies Bike Shop 15 mi, NTR Canoe Livery 1.5 mi, Century Cycles 50 mi, Cuyahoga Valley 45 mi, (mi to be verified)
9. Tent rentals
Of course, I'd be grateful for any financial assistance you can afford to offer because this project would not only position myself for a modest retirement supplemental income but do it in such a manner that benefits the bikers, hikers, dog walkers and everyone that uses the towpath trail!. The GoFundMe campaign is located at URL: https://www.gofundme.com/f/towpath-trail-peace-park-campsites .
For additional information on our Towpath Trail Peace Park Primitive Camping, please visit our HipCamp listing at https://www.hipcamp.com/ohio/towpath-trail-peace-park/towpath-trail-peace-park-campsites
In the event our fundraising is so successful that we should meet all the goals and dreams listed above, any excess will be donated to an appropriate Tuscarawas county, Ohio based organization that is involved with the long-term Towpath Trail system management.
Thank you for your consideration!
Joe Rinehart, property resident, and caretaker ;)