Peace Park Plan
We love the history of our historical corner of the Greenville Peace Treaty Line, Ohio-Erie Canalway Towpath Trail and Scenic Byway, Buckeye Trail, the Great American Rail-Trail. and within sight of where the first white man Christian Federick Post, a Moravian missionary to the largest Delaware Native American settlement in Ohio in 1758-'62. To have the opportunity to celebrate, encourage, and share such rich early Ohio history gives us great pleasure. Since we first started to make about a quarter acre of our little corner available to the public we've thought of a bunch of ideas and received a few great suggestions on how we may improve the visitor experience.
This is our wish list plan to improve our campsites for public usage.
A couple of immediate needed improvements include:
1. A Handicapped Accessible with hand sanitizer Port-A-Potty was INSTALLED in May 2020, (Goal achieved)
2. Potable water ($35 test / Health Dept License $75: $115 annually) (water test ACHIEVED with pristine aquifer results!)
Waterline installation from our pump house is approx $1,500. one-time.
Improvement goals after our trail easement are developed include:
1. A bronze Ohio historical marker at the exact spot where the Greenville Peace Treaty line intersects with the towpath trail will be approx. $3,000. Ohio's only revolutionary war fort Laurens is only about 1.5 miles east of us and is referred to within the treaty. Greenville Treaty Line outline ideals include a flower garden with tulips.
2. A few fruits and or nut trees native to Ohio to be included in landscaping to establish a small public orchard on the trail. Plant cherry trees along the top of the canal along the property line and also behind the house. This will serve both privacy and fruit.
3. Butterfly & Bee floral landscaping. Unknown value at present and I'd propose having a non-profit contracted to plant native species.
4. Stone & wood bench similar to what's near the Stark Parks trail section at the Canal Bend trailhead.
5. A lean-to, tipi, &/or an indigenous Delaware wigwam for an educational rental(s) on the Greenville Treaty Line.
6. Fishing poles and gear for Tuscarawas river fishing rental. (Available)
7. All four primitive campsites now have a picnic table and a fire ring. (Goal achieved) Umbrellas at each picnic table. (1)
8. Multi-directional sign ie; Fort Laurens 1.5 mi, Bolivar .1 mi, Zoar 4 mi, Canal Lands 1.7 mi, Navarre 6 mi, Canal Bend Trailhead 1.5 mi, McDonnell Trailhead .25 mi, Camp Tuscazoar 6 mi, Akron 30 mi, Massillon 15 mi, Cleveland 81 mi, Eddies Bike Shop 15 mi, NTR Canoe Livery 1.5 mi, Century Cycles 50 mi, Cuyahoga Valley 45 mi, (mi to be verified)
9. Rentals: Horseshoes & cornhole, kitchen tools, hammock, tents,
10. wood chips on banks and flower beds. Native to Ohio plants on the canal banks (We've had two truckloads donated but still need more)
11. Campsite #1 to be developed as a rest area for bikers, dog walkers, hikers, and family picnics, and handicapped accessible senior access.
12. Electric plugs at each campsite. Until then we have a shared plug by the lamppost.
13. Hayride-type trailer that can also serve as a stage.
14. Solar security lights on pumphouse, front and back of the house, and garage. (done)
15. Bike rack sponsorship
16. Historical park-looking signage; campsites, parking spots, multi-directional tourism pole design, boundaries, no vehicle traffic.
17. A conditional zoning permit for the Snack Shack and all legal purposes to promote or rich northern Tuscarawas county history. This will be a prerequisite for when we turn the "permanent building shed into the Snack Shack, for commercial signage, or to hire employees. At present, our food service license is for mobile use and our four peace park campsites are private and not considered a campground by Ohio law which defines commercial campgrounds as having five or more sites.
Of course, I'd be grateful for any financial assistance you can afford to offer because this project would not only position me for a modest retirement supplemental income but do it in such a manner that benefits the bikers, hikers, dog walkers, and everyone that uses the towpath trail!. The GoFundMe campaign is located at URL: https://www.gofundme.com/f/towpath-trail-peace-park-campsites .
In the event our fundraising is so successful that we should meet all the goals and dreams listed above, any excess will be donated to an appropriate Tuscarawas county, Ohio-based organization that is involved with the long-term Towpath Trail system management.
For additional information on our Towpath Trail Peace Park Primitive Camping, please visit our HipCamp listing at https://www.hipcamp.com/ohio/towpath-trail-peace-park/towpath-trail-peace-park-campsites
We're also on the Dyrt at https://thedyrt.com/camping/OH/towpath-trail-peace-park
Thank you for your consideration!
Joe Rinehart, property resident, and caretaker ;)
#TowpathTrailPeacePark #TTSS #PrimitiveCamping #TowpathTrail #Fundraising #GoFundMe #FacebookFundraiser #Donate #Fundraiser